Happy Thanksgiving 2007

The pumpkin pie is fresh out of the oven. The loaded mashed potato casserole is in the fridge beside the cranberry, mandarin orange, raspberry, pineapple salad . All ready for tomorrow's feast. Friends Donna and Tom are coming over and we'll have our dinner at lunch time and then spend the afternoon at the movies or playing games. Low key and relaxed. Donna's bringing the pecan pie and the squash. I've got a 6# chicken in a roaster bag, a head of broccoli in a steamer bag and fresh rolls all ready to go! Yum!

I've been having a lot of 'silver lining' moments this week just in time for Thanksgiving. One of my best friends back home had a double mastectomy at the end of October. She's 43 and had been doing 'all the right things' since she was 30; self exams, mammos...and they never caught it. The silver lining? Actually there are two. They feel they got ALL of the cancer AND 3 years ago, when she turned 40 she was overweight and at a crossroads in her life. She decided to make some changes and now, three years later, is in the best shape of her life just in time to fight this fight. Makes her chances for a wonderful, positive outcome a thousand times better. Instead of dreading what may come, she is devoting herself to spreading the word that even if you get a green-light report on your mammogram, if you think there is something not right, push it. Her physical, emotional and spiritual strength amazes me. She is a true inspiration.

So I've been doing a lot of thinking about this 'it was the best of times, it was the worst of times' stuff. I have my moments when it seems like the whole world is falling on my head. We all do, but I also realize that most of that is my own doing-attitude wise. I really have it pretty darn good. My family is keeping as healthy as they can and we are all still able to do the things we love as well as the things we need to do. I love my job (despite what I may tell you on SOME days). It pays well and allows me to do the things I want to do with my life and my leisure. We have a cozy nest of a home and I couldn't ask for a sweeter more caring man than Mr. Bee in my life. He makes me feel cherished and safe and content. We have amazing friends. As we get older it becomes more evident who our true friends are; the mature friendships that endure are cherished. Our furbabies fill our lives with light and love.

Why does it seem to take a really dark moment in your, or a loved ones, life or a special turkey-eating day set aside to count your blessings? They are all around us every single day. [Please remind me of this entry the next time I skewer myself with a knitting needle or go to the dentist!]

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and may your life be as rich and filled with everyday blessings as ours! Speaking of blessings, here are a couple of my very favorites!

Comments

peaknits said…
What a nice post - and great picture at the end of your boys! Always a good reminder for us all that we need to count our blessings.:)
dale-harriet said…
Aww, Molly Bee, I wish I could say it that well; you're absolutely right on ALL POINTS. I found myself saying "Me too, me too!" And I'm thankful for things we share: Donna and Tom (!) and being Hog-and-Bloggers, and being adoring parents of furbabies, and having just very nice men as husbands. (He's my third, I *know* they're not all like this!) And for your friendship (a privilege I'm proud of) - thank you for that too!
YarnThrower said…
Thank you for your heartfelt words! It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! And, your are so right! There is MUCH to be thankful for!

Popular posts from this blog

Thank Goodness for Blog Buddies

Lots of New Tangle Pattern Ideas!

Wicked Wonderful Weekend