Sunday Mornings At The Farm

Although it was yet another snowy morning at the farm (Quelle Suprise!!!) it was still amazing as usual. The barn is my church. I see more evidence of something greater than myself in the eyes of those animals that I ever have in a chapel. There's no pomp and circumstance, just real physical proof. All creatures great and small.
For the last month the wild turkey herd is in the pasture to greet me.

 I didn't count this morning but there have been as many as 24  in the flock in the past.
This is my buddy, Fonzie.  The very first day I worked at Heartland, I was in charge of socializing baby Peking ducks. They were in a stall with a small swimming pool and Fonzie was bunking with them since he was about the same size (about the size of a large pigeon). Every time a duck would get in the pool, Fonzie would run around and around and around the pool until the duck was safely out. He was so much like a lifeguard, that I started calling him 'Hasselhoff'.  So although everyone else calls him 'Fonzie', he'll always be 'Hoff 'to me!

Rocking Hoff to sleep.
I was trying to get a picture of Isis, a beautiful female chicken in this stall. I was scooched down looking through the view finder. I clicked the button and in the nanosecond before it took the picture, Isis exited left and BAAAAA Phil popped up instead. Scary. Phil was named after the late, great comedian Phyllis Diller before they figured out he was a 'Phil Diller' .

Here is a picture of Phyllis photobombing a picture of Isis the Chicken too. Can you see the resemblance?
This is Mick The Llama's, 'I thought you told me spring was on the way' look.

Thor the Llama just lays his ears back and resents the snow in silence.

This is Mister (white) and Missus (gray) Goose.  I did not know it at the time I took this picture, but this is EXACTLY what Mister looks like just seconds before he tries to kill and eat you.  He's very protective of Missus and although he's grumpy, you have to respect how well he looks out for her even if you do end up with bruised shins on a weekly basis! 
 
Gracie the Goose, and Buttercup and Juniper the Peking ducks, have had enough of the snow. They are sleeping until it's spring thank you very much.  They are each on one foot to keep the other warm.  You might not have noticed, but Tippy, the Indian Runner duck is smart enough to nestle down on the dog bed in the lower left corner of the photo, thus keeping BOTH feet warm. She may be funny looking, but she's wicked smaht, Deah! I'll take brains over looks any day!

So there you have it. Just a teensy taste of a Sunday morning at the barn. I can think of exactly 18 bagigazillion worse ways to spend a Sunday! 



Comments

Lisa/knitnzu said…
Hilarious photos! Love the idea of turkey herds!
Quaaaack
What do llamas say?
Cluuuuuck
Cock a doodle doo
Anonymous said…
Love these pictures Melinda!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Thank Goodness for Blog Buddies

Lots of New Tangle Pattern Ideas!

Wicked Wonderful Weekend