Fossils

I can't believe how excited I still get over finding fossils out here. This whole area was submerged in the Cambrian Sea about 550 million years ago, so the ground is mostly a limestone base fulled with corals, trilobites, crinoids and shells. The beaches are full of fossils, as are rocks in quarries and even the landscaping rocks around businesses. I've been here 30 years and you would think I had found a finorkin' T-Rex every time I spot one. It's the little things I guess!

I found some beauties (to me) in Algoma.

Chain Coral

Chain Coral

I don't know but the black bits looks like the outline of a small crayfish. 
Honeycomb


Honeycomb or Petosky. I'm not sure really. The holes are much bigger and darker than the other honeycomb pieces I found. Here is the other side of it. I'm leaning towards Petosky.


Thought this was a lightning stone but it's just a rock with some kind of concretion. Still cool!

Crinoid fossil. Crinoids were organisms that looked kind of like segmented reeds. 

This is just a piece of sea glass but I was happy to find it since it's one off the biggest pieces I've seen in a while and I've been hunting Lincolville beach every summer for years!

I stivered back to the car with my winter jacket pockets so loaded I could barely waddle, happy as a clam! Some people buy expensive souvenirs...how lucky and I that I'm happy with a rock!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank Goodness for Blog Buddies

Lots of New Tangle Pattern Ideas!

Wicked Wonderful Weekend